Translate

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Original Piece of Poetry

     There are several aspects of poetry that help a child increase their ability to write at an appropriate level. These aspects include: structure of writing, sounds, use of consonants and vowels, alliteration, assonance, and so on. Furthermore, poetry is a great tool for children to use to express their emotions. In Elementary School, I began to write poetry and I enjoyed the process. Today, as a junior in college, I still write several pieces of poetry. As a future teacher, I want to strongly encourage my students to express their emotions through poetry. Below is an original piece of writing that I completed in college. 







Yellow

It’s seen on the neck and chest
On a Rufous-capped Warbler
As it soars over the anhydrous crops
On a summer day in Tucson,

Where the Warbler grasps
Onto a stranded corn cob
With dried kernels,
Exposed from its husk leaves,
 And continues to fly above

 A bed of vibrant sunflowers,
Swaying back and forth
In the afternoon’s breeze,

But quickly changes its path
 To avoid
The yellow raised ranch
Surrounded—
In furious flames.

No comments:

Post a Comment