Translate

Sunday, April 21, 2013

How Should Schools Address Emotional Education?

   
          As a future teacher, I strongly believe that Emotional Education should be addressed. Emotional Education should be addressed in schools due to differences in each student. Each student has different emotional needs. Furthermore, both genders have different emotional needs. For example, "According to Eisenberg et. al., “For instance, boys show
 more anger than girls beginning in the preschool years, and girls more often report feeling sad, fearful, and guilty beginning in the elementary grades" (McDevitt & Ormrod 424).  Both boys and girls handle stressful situations with different reactions. As a future teacher, I think is it important to be educated on the different reactions students have. For example, in previous fieldwork, I observed a small group of four students. A young boy and girl were arguing over who would write on the white sheet of paper. The girl grabbed the maker first, and she began to write on the white sheet of paper. Then, the boy ripped the marker out of her hand. The boy had a hard time understanding why he was wrong for grabbing the maker out of the girl's hand, and the girl quickly became upset. In situations similar to this one, it is important to understand the solutions that would resolve this problem between the boy and the girl. 

      Furthermore, as a future teacher, I think it is important to get to know my students. I need to know how each individual student reacts to certain situations. For example, in previous field work, I noticed that some students were more sensitive to certain situations than others. Also, some students were aggressive towards other students. I want to get to know my students and their reactions so that I can develop the best approach to help solve any emotional issue. If I approach a sensitive student sternly, instead of soft spoken, then I could potentially make the situation worse. To continue this point, I think it is important to understand each student's home life. There may be outside factors that are contributing to the child's behavior within the classroom. I need to gain some kind of awareness of each student's background and home life. This will also help me to decide the best way to approach each student's emotional needs. 
     Emotional needs are important to address. Each student is different and it is important for the teacher to be aware of that. In my future classroom, I want to address emotional education weekly. I think it is important for students to feel comfortable with their own emotions. Furthermore, students need to be aware of their peer's emotions. Students should be able to express themselves. It is important for me to make my student feel as if they can come to me with any emotional needs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment