Translate

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Reader's Workshop: How Can I Help my Students Become Brighter Readers?

In class earlier today, I watched an informative and interesting video that displayed a successful example of reader's workshop. In order to perform a successful workshop, teachers need to be prepared and students need to be engaged. I envision my reader's workshop within my classroom as a future teacher. I would like to involve several visuals for the students. For example, if the mini-lesson is related to sequencing, which we used as an example today in class, I would like to have a poster that is dedicated to transitioning words. Also, I would like to use clear text for all of the students to see. In the video, a enlarge book was used in order for the model teacher to underline and highlight important aspects of the book, which seemed to really catch the student's attention. Furthermore, I think the strategy, "think aloud" is effective for a teacher to model during the modeling stage. After today's lecture, I understand that it can be difficult to make a smooth transition from explicit to modeling to guided practice to independent practice. As a student, it is my job to gain knowledge from my literacy education class in order to master these skills. As a future teacher, a large role that I have is to make learning understandable and effective. I want to use all of my materials and tools to model and guide proper reading skills effectively. Also, I believe that reader's workshop should include differentiation. Each student is an individual, with individual learning needs. Differentiation is important during Reader's workshop because it allows the teacher and student to connect. It reassures the teacher that the student is understanding the material, and that the mini-lesson was a success. In general, my role in Reader's workshop is highly important. I need to provide guidance during all aspects of a mini-lesson. Also, I need to focus on the "what-to-do" after the mini-lesson, and tie the Reader's workshop into application, reading, and conferring. I've realized that there are several pieces that are apart of the Reader's workshop. All of these pieces need to connect in order for the students to become successful readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment