Translate

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

How Many Candies Are In the Jar?

I have several memories in relation to family and school. One memory, in particular, is so clear, it's as if it happened yesterday. In the beginning of the year, my second grade class began to learn was an estimation was. We would have worksheets that contained pictures of jars, buckets, and bowls filled with several objects such as marbles, M&M's and so on. My elementary school was hosting an open house, and my second grade teacher made our work come to life. She brought in a large jar that contained several pieces of candy. Each student, with the help of a parent, was allowed to make once guess in regards to how many candies were in the jar. My father and I were together at this open house, and decided to give it a shot. My dad asked me, "Well, Lauren, how many pieces of candy do you think are in the jar?" I replied, "A whole lot, Dad." We worked together and tried to brainstorm how many candies were in the jar. My Dad told me to not attempt to count all of the candies, because that's cheating, and the whole point of this game was to make an estimation. I studied the jar for the time I was allowed, and my Dad asked what my thoughts were. I guessed 85, and my Dad guess 59. So we both decided to meet somewhere in the middle, and we decided to guess 64. I placed my guess into the bucket, and wished that my Dad and I would win. The next day, my teacher announced that there was a winner for the jar estimation contest.  Now, when I was in Elementary School, I believed that I had the worst luck. I felt like I never won small classroom competitions, or even games at recess. So, I already assumed that the winner couldn't possibly be me. My teacher announced that I was the winner of the contest, and I could take the jar filled with candy home. I still remember that I shot up from my seat and was overjoyed that I had finally won something. I waited for my Dad to come home from work that night, and I showed him the jar filled with candies. My Dad said something along the lines of, "Wow, we make a pretty good team. Right on the dot." That memory between my Dad and I in relation to school will forever hold a special place in my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment