Translate

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My Language Arts Memory

I have several memories of Language Arts that have helped me write and read successfully. However, one memory, in particular, is very vivid in my mind. In six grade, my Language Arts teacher made reading and writing entertaining and exciting. For example, instead of just learning vocabulary from the texts, my teacher created competitive games that allowed the students to participate, and learn new information in an enjoyable way. I remember the struggle that I and many of my classmates had in relation to the proper use of "its" and "it's", as well as when to use "is" and "are". After a few days of review for these words and learning the proper use for each, my teacher developed a game called, "Do You Want to Be a Grammar Star?" This game was very similar to the popular game show, "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?" Also, the class was split into two teams and each team was mixed evenly. Each team would work together to answer questions about the particular words we have studied. So, for example, a question was, What form of "it" is used in this sentence, "The beetle was an interesting shade of blue.    x     color was eye-catching." Each team worked together to come up with the answer, and once a minute, or sometimes half a minute of time expired, we would have to present our white boards. Furthermore, before our teacher would give us the correct answer, one representative of the team had to thoroughly explain their answer. I vividly remember this memory because the game was enjoyable, my classmates and I practiced team work, and since that experience I have never struggled with deciding which form or word to use in my writing. My teacher was successful in teaching me grammar. Also, I have enjoyed reading and writing, and I'm successful when completing it. As a future teacher, I would like to use my own experiences and memories as a student to develop learning that is fun and enjoyable for my students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment